Channels for XR – 25 August 2021
Immersive technology refers to technology, including Augmented Reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR), and Mixed Reality (XR), that attempts to emulate a physical world through a digital or simulated world, thereby creating a sense of immersion.
The Immersive Technologies (XR) Hub is managed by Real Serious Games, and located at The Precinct, Fortitude Valley (QLD, Australia). The hub is a co-funded initiative by Advance Queensland and Screen Queensland.
The Queensland XR Hub fundamental goal is to expand the emerging Immersive Technologies (XR) capability within Queensland, Australia and Internationally; educate industry; and support initiatives that increase investment in Immersive Technology businesses.
WaterStart recognises the potential of Immersive Technologies in the age of digital transformation. As such, we partnered with the Queensland XR Hub to explore learnings and opportunities of XR technologies in Water. On August 25, 2021, we brought together our members, industry associations, academics and technology providers to:
- Evaluate the current and future applications of XR technologies in the industry.
- Discuss barriers to adoption and potential pathways to overcome them.
- Identify specific areas within industry/business that could most benefit from emerging XR technologies.
- Showcase projects from our members that successfully utilized XR capabilities with realised business benefits.
- Showcase emerging technology companies through a pitch event.
This hybrid event was designed to be collaborative and thought provoking. It served as an opportunity to expose valuable business insights and promote cross-industry learning, where possible.
00:00:00 – Introductions
00:13:00 – Keynote Presentation
- Barbara-Anne Bensted, Partner Digital Delta, KPMG
00:32:00 – Industry Panel Discussion
- Ryan Amor, CT Business Partner, Seqwater
- Simon Harrington, Enterprise Architect, Urban Utilities
- Ivan Beirne, Head of Asset Management, Unitywater
1:25:00 – Case Study Presentations
- Michelle Bordignon, Team Leader, Strategic Engagement, Seqwater and Gavin Winter, Manager, Visualisation and eResearch, QUT (1:30:00)
- Jason Dwyer, Research and Development Business Partner at Urban Utilities and Lex Van Cooten, VT Specialist, Real Serious Games (1:46:00)
- Ivan Beirne, Head of Asset Management, Unitywater (2:00:00)
2:12:00 – Technology Pitches
- Doug Hastings, Founder & CEO, Hindsite (2:12:00)
- William Pagnon, CEO, Freelance Robotics (2:23:00)
WaterStart would like to pay a special thanks to all of the speakers for their time and valuable insights!